Subject: [gaia] Tech & Social Change: Could You Help Me Build a Collection of Syllabi & Readings?

From: Yosem Companys <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 22:56:23 -0700

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether there's a collection of all syllabi and readings
on technology and social good (or public good or social change)? If such a
collection doesn't exist, could you help me create one?

The readings can be from any discipline, seminal or not, and academic
or not. I'd like to get cross-cultural readings, so we have representation
of diverse perspectives from around the world.

For the Stanford Program for Liberation Technology, I once made a list of
all the topics on social good that I found on Twitter that intersected with
technology. These included the following:

   - Accountability, Corruption, Openness, and Transparency (e.g., Open
   Data, Freedom of Information - FOI)
   - Activism, Protests, and Movements (e.g., Occupy, Anonymous, Hacktivism)
   - Agriculture, Farming, and Food Security (e.g., eAgri, Fishing,
   Mariculture, Aquaponics, Aquaculture)
   - Censorship, Repression, and Freedom (e.g., Freedom of Expression -
   FoE, Free Speech, NetFreedom, Right to Information - RTI)
   - Construction, Housing, and Real Estate (e.g., Smart Homes, Internet of
   Things)
   - Democracy, Politics, Elections, and Voting (e.g., Netroots, Tea Party,
   eVoting)
   - Development (e.g., Information and Communication Technologies for
   Development - ICT4D, Tech for Development - Tech4Dev, Global Development -
   GlobalDev)
   - Economics (e.g., Participatory Economy, Peer-to-Peer Economy, Commons)
   - Education (e.g., Information and Communication Technologies for
   Education - ICT4E, Open Education, eLearning, MOOCs)
   - Energy and Power (e.g., Microgrids)
   - Entrepreneurship (e.g., Social Entrepreneurship - socent, Social
   Innovation)
   - Environment (e.g., Brownfields, Landfills, Superfund Sites, Climate
   Change, and Land, Water, and Air Preservation)
   - Finance (e.g., Microfinance, FinTech, Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies)
   - Governance (e.g., eGovernance - eGov, Open Governance - OpenGov,
   Governance 2.0 - gov20)
   - Health (e.g., eHealth, mHealth, Telemedicine)
   - Human rights
   - Manufacturing (e.g., Additive Technologies, 3D Printing,
   Do-It-Yourself - DIY, Robotics)
   - Media (e.g., Journalism, Social Media)
   - Organizing and Organizations (e.g., Nonprofits, Community-Based
   Organizations, Cooperatives, Labor Unions)
   - Physical Spaces and Locations (e.g., Libraries, Coworking Spaces,
   Makerspaces, Hackerspaces, Fab Labs, Tool Sharing Libraries, Smart Cities,
   Mapping)
   - Policy and Law (e.g., Policy Innovations, Legal Innovations)
   - Privacy (e.g., Rules, Regulations, Laws, Frameworks)
   - Resilience During Conflicts, Natural Disasters, and Other Crises
   (e.g., Crisis Mapping; Robotics)
   - Security, Physical or Cyber
   - Social Science (e.g., Impact of Technology on Society)
   - Transportation and Supply Chain on Land, Water, and Air (e.g.,
   Hyperloop, Autonomous Vehicles, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Drones, Smart
   Roads)
   - Volunteering (e.g., Crowdsourcing, Participatory Mapping)
   - Water Security (e.g., Watersheds, Water Purification)

The list above isn't meant to be exhaustive, so please feel free to suggest
other forms of grouping topics or let me know if I missed an important
topic or hashtag.

I truly appreciate your help and advice, and I look forward to hearing from
you soon.

Thanks,
Yosem