Subject: [Gen-art] review (summary) of draft-ietf-hip-mm-05.txt

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:02:36 +0200

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART)
reviewer for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-hip-mm-05.txt
Reviewer: Francis Dupont
Review Date: 03 April 2007
IESG Telechat date: 05 April 2007

Summary: Not Ready

Comments: I'll send full comments in some hours (with a better network
connection) but I have a real issue (so the summary) with the Abstract
which IMHO is not coherent (i.e., it doesn't say the same thing from
beginning to the end. BTW it doesn't describe the real content of the
document too, which seems to be between the two sides).
Here I quote it to get other opinions:

   This document defines mobility and multihoming extensions to the Host
   Identity Protocol (HIP).  Specifically, this document defines a
   general "LOCATOR" parameter for HIP messages that allows for a HIP
   host to notify peers about alternate addresses at which it may be
   reached.  This document also defines elements of procedure for
   mobility of a HIP host-- the process by which a host dynamically
   changes the primary locator that it uses to receive packets.  While
   the same LOCATOR parameter can also be used to support end-host
   multihoming, detailed procedures are left for further study.

There are some other points but not critical at one exception
(I'll send them ASAP).

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: IMHO the document provides readdressing which is a limited form
of mobility (as explained inside the document, so the issue is in the
wording) and a limited form of multihoming too. Perhaps the source of
the problem is the mixed between the mechanism and its usage?

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art