Subject: [Gen-art] Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-hartman-webauth-phishing-03.txt

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:49:30 -0400

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]> writes:

    Brian> I have seen Eliot Lear's comment that "your assumption that
    Brian> the computer is secure is a bad one." However, I cannot see
    Brian> any way to avoid this assumption. Perhaps it should be
    Brian> stated more crisply: if the system hosting the UI has been
    Brian> compromised, then the UI cannot be trusted. (That raises
    Brian> the question whether the UI in a web cafe can *ever* be
    Brian> trusted.)

I think the text is much improved in this regard in the version I'm
about to submit.

    Brian> A related question on section 5 or the Security
    Brian> Considerations: isn't it also the case that the model
    Brian> trusts DNS? If DNS has been forged,
    Brian> the user might mistakenly trust the wrong server and its certificate.

no, not to my knowledge.  I'm not sure where you think DNS is being
trusted.  Certainly you should be checking the certifacate against the
string the user entered not say against the result of CNAME
resolution.

_______________________________________________
Gen-art mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/gen-art

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:45:28 +0200

Sam,

> I think the text is much improved in this regard in the version I'm

I'll look forward to it.

> string the user entered not say against the result of CNAME

OK. In general of course people have been trained to always believe
certificates, but that is another problem.

      Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:51:54 +0200

-04 looks good to me.

     Brian