Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-ipfix-structured-data-05.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 17:50:56 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer
for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before
posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-ipfix-structured-data-05.txt
Reviewer: Suresh Krishnan
Review Date: 2011/04/12
IESG Telechat date: 2011/04/14

Summary: This draft is ready for publication as a Proposed Standard but 
please consider fixing the following issues.

Section 2:
* This sentence does not read right.

However, the amount of information
has become so important that, when dealing with highly granular
information such as Flow information, a push mechanism (as opposed
to a pull mechanism, such as SNMP) is the only solution for
routers whose primary function is to route packets.

Did you mean that "the amount of information is so large" (or) 
"collecting this information has become so important" instead of "the 
amount of information has become so important"?

* I understand aggregation based on time but what does "space" mean 
here? I thought that granular flow export was desired. Can you clarify?

Furthermore, in order to reduce the export bandwidth requirements,
the network elements have to integrate mediation functions to
aggregate the collected information, both in space and time.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:57:50 +0200

Dear Suresh,

Thanks for your review. See inline.
> Summary: This draft is ready for publication as a Proposed Standard 
> but please consider fixing the following issues.
>
> Section 2:
OLD:

NEW:
has become so large that, when dealing with highly granular
> aggregate the collected information, both in space and time.
OLD:

NEW:

       Furthermore, in order to reduce the export bandwidth requirements,
       the network elements have to integrate mediation functions to
       aggregate the collected information, both in space (typically from
       different line cards or different Exporters) and time.

Regards, Benoit.

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:58:51 -0400

Hi Benoit,
   These changes look good to me. Thanks for resolving these quickly.

Cheers
Suresh