Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat review of draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-09.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 18:29:10 -0400

I have been selected as the General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) reviewer
for this draft (for background on Gen-ART, please see
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html).

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd or AD before
posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-sieve-external-lists-09
Reviewer: Suresh Krishnan
Review Date: 2011/06/07
IESG Telechat date: 2011/06/09

Summary: This draft is ready for publication as a Proposed Standard but
it has a minor issue.

Minor
=====

* Section 2.2:

This following text is a bit handwavy. Is this by design? How can the 
sieve implementation identify the list as one that has an open 
subscriber list. Is the sieve engine expected to try one of these 
methods first and failover into another. Is there an expectation that 
all sieve implementations will actually be capable of invoking both 
these mechanisms?

"For some lists, the Sieve engine might directly retrieve the list and
make its own comparison.  Other lists might not work that way -- they
might provide a way to ask if a value is in the list, but not permit
retrieval of the list itself."

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 18:36:22 -0400

Thanks, Suresh, for the review.

> This following text is a bit handwavy. Is this by design? How can the sieve
> implementation identify the list as one that has an open subscriber list. Is
> the sieve engine expected to try one of these methods first and failover
> into another. Is there an expectation that all sieve implementations will
> actually be capable of invoking both these mechanisms?
>

Yes, it's vague by design.  The Sieve engine needs to be integrated
with the list handling -- this is saying that for some that's done
simply by having the Sieve engine retrieve the list and search it, but
for other lists it's done through some sort of API by which it
searches the list.  In any case, the Sieve engine needs to know how to
access each list that it supports... and that access is out of scope
here.

Barry

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 16:19:24 -0400

Hi Barry,
   That makes sense. Please consider my concern resolved.

Thanks
Suresh