Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART telechat review of draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-01.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 14:05:24 +1200

Please see attached review.

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 17:33:49 +0100

Brian

Re

====

"In MPLS-TP, the GAL ... MUST NOT be used with PWs."

RFC 5586 doesn't explain this at all, so a sentence in the present draft
like "This restriction was originally imposed because ...." would be quite
informative.

====

At the time of writing the original draft there was no need to support
GAL, since -TP specifies that the the Control work is always used.
However what we are seeing here is a desire to use TP technology to
extend conventional MPLS/PW and in that environment there there
is a desire by operators to have the restriction removed.

- Stewart

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:57:25 +1200

> is a desire by operators to have the restriction removed.

Thanks. This is certainly not essential, but it's a little
bit of insider knowledge that's impossible to guess.

    Brian