Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART review of draft-gregorio-uritemplate-07

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:41:20 -0600

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-gregorio-uritemplate-07
Reviewer: Vijay K. Gurbani
Review Date: Jan-01-2012
IETF LC End Date: Not known
IESG Telechat date: Jan-05-2012

Summary: This draft is ready as an Proposed Standard.

Major issues: 0
Minor issues: 2
Nits/editorial comments: 0

Minor issue:

- S3.2.1, first paragraph: "A variable defined as an associative
  array of (name, value) pairs is considered undefined if the
  array contains zero members or if all member names in the array
  have undefined values."

  Here, do you mean "if all member names in the array have no values."?
  That is, "undefined values" implies that values are present in the
  template, but are not understood.  On the other hand, "no values"
  implies the absence of any values at all.  In my reading of the
  text, it appears that "no values" conveys more context than "undefined
  values".

- S4, general comment: I am not sure where the template expansion is
  done --- at the client (browser) or at the origin server (the draft
  does not enunciate this, and if it does, I may have missed it).  If
  the expansion is done at the origin server, I suspect that one can
  keep it a bit more busy by asking it to perform unnecessary
  template expansion for a resource that may be accessed normally
  even without template expansion.  Is it worth documenting this at
  all in the Security Considerations section?  (Clearly, if the expansion
  is done at the client, then it is the client incurring the expense
  of expansion.  Insofar as the client is malicious, it is best to
  let it expend as much effort as necessary.)

Thanks,

- vijay
- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/