Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Telechat Review of draft-ietf-pim-pop-count-06

From: Pete McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 20:08:32 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
< http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-pim-pop-count-06
Reviewer: Peter McCann
Review Date: 2012-06-19
IETF LC End Date: 2012-06-12
IESG Telechat date: 2012-06-21

Summary: 2 minor issues

Major issues: none

Minor issues:

The Transit and Stub oif-List counts are only 2 octets.  Will these
fields be large enough to contain
the totals for a large multicast distribution tree?

Are there any alignment constraints on the options?  It looks like all
the two-octet options come first
and the single-octet options come last.  However, is this a
requirement for any future options that may
be defined?

Nits/editorial comments:

The descriptions of how the counts are maintained could use a little
clarification.  For example,
when you say:

   Transit Oif-List Count:   This is filled in by a router sending a
      Join/Prune message which is equal to the number of oifs (outgoing
      interfaces) for the multicast route that has been joined by PIM.
      This indicates the transit branches on a multicast distribution
      tree (no members on the links between this router and joining
      routers).  This is added to the value advertised by all downstream
      PIM routers that have joined on this oif.  Length 2 octets.

it isn't clear what you mean by "which is equal to". Literally, you
are saying the Join/Prune message
is equal to something.  I don't think that's quite right.  Did you
mean "with a number that is equal to"?
Maybe, "with a number that is equal to the number of oifs (outgoing
interfaces) for the multicast
route that has been joined by PIM, plus the values advertised by all
downstream PIM routers that
have joined this oif."

-Pete