Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART Last Call review of draft-ietf-abfab-usecases-03.txt

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 19:57:17 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for
draft-ietf-abfab-usecases-03.txt

For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/gen/art/gen-art-FAQ.html>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Summary: This draft is ready for publication as an Informational RFC,
but I do have some minor comments that you may like to address.

Minor
=====

* This document references obsolete versions of IMAP and SMTP. Is there
any specific reason for referring to the older versions? If not, I
recommend replacing references to

-> RFC2060 with RFC3501
-> RFC2821 with RFC5321

* Section 3.7

The following text is a bit out of date.

"At present, authentication to these applications will be typically
   configured manually by the user on the device (or on a different
   device connected to that device) but inputting their (usually pre-
   provisioned out-of-band) credentials for that application - one per
   application."

With systems such as IMS that have gotten deployed, at least telco
operator hosted applications can use some form of federated identity
already. I do not have strong feelings about this but I suggest leaving
out operator hosted applications from this characterization.

* Section 3.9

I am not sure I understand the following text

"The utility company may wish to
   grant access only to authorized devices; for example, a consortium of
   utility companies and device manufacturers may certify devices to
   connect to power networks."

What does the word certify mean here? I have always understood it to
mean testing compliance to certain requirements rather than verification
of identity. Can you please clarify?

Thanks
Suresh