Subject: [Gen-art] Gen-ART telechat review of draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt-10.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 11:37:53 +1300

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
< http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please wait for direction from your document shepherd
or AD before posting a new version of the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-netmod-system-mgmt-10.txt
Reviewer: Brian Carpenter
Review Date: 2014-01-19
IETF LC End Date: 2014-01-22
IESG Telechat date: 2014-01-23

Summary:  Almost ready
--------

Comments:
---------

Since the version hasn't been updated yet I haven't changed the
review, but the authors' proposed changes are fine. Please
let me know if the -11 version comes out before the telechat.

I haven't checked the yang syntax in detail. At first glance,
it looks good.

Minor Issues:
------------

"2.1.  System Identification

   There are many common properties used to identify devices, operating
   systems, software versions, etc. that need to be supported in the
   system data module.  These objects are defined as operational state
   data and the information returned by the server is intended to be
   specific to the device vendor."

Does "server" mean the NETCONF server?

"2.2.  System Time Management

   The management of the date and time used by the system need to be
   supported.  Use of one or more NTP servers to automatically set the
   system date and time need to be possible.  Utilization of the
   Timezone database [RFC6557] also need to be supported.  It should be
   possible for the server, as well as clients, to configure the system
   to use NTP."

Again, does this mean the NETCONF server? Also, which clients? This is
the first time the document mentions clients.

"2.3.  User Authentication

...It should be possible for the server, as well as
   clients, to configure the system authentication properties."

Same comment as for 2.2. Also, how does the network administrator enforce
a specific strength of authentication? It seems as though the clients can
choose to downgrade security.

"2.4.  DNS Resolver

   The configuration of the DNS resolver within the system containing
   the NETCONF server is required to control how domain names are
   resolved."

This is very hard to parse and could mean several things. Does it
mean that it MUST be possible to configure the DNS resolver?
(And I wonder what happens if the device is running mDNS?)

"3.6.  System Control

   The following operations are defined:

      set-current-datetime
      system-restart
      system-shutdown"

My reaction is that this is a very limited set of operations. For example
how about system standby (enter power-saving mode)? Yes, I know that
creates the problem of how to wake the system up again, but there are
solutions to that problem (e.g. polling). I can imagine many vendor-specific
extensions in this area, too.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:05:42 +1300

I've looked at the -11 draft that just came out and it's fine.
I understand that the document has been deferred from this week's
agenda, so if I'm asked to review it again the answer will
be "Ready".

Regards
   Brian