Subject: [Gen-art] Ge-ART LC review of draft-ietf-nvo3-framework-06

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:05:02 +0300

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you
may receive.

Document:  draft-ietf-nvo3-framework-06

Reviewer: Roni Even

Review Date:2014-5-30

IETF LC End Date: 2014-6-4

IESG Telechat date: 

Summary: This draft is almost ready for publication as an Informational RFC.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

I think that the first sentence in section 1 is more in line with the title
of the document than the abstract. Propose to change the abstract to mention
Data Center.

Nits/editorial comments:

1.	In section 1.2 ToR and EoR are given as example. Are these well
known or is there a need for reference?
2.	Section 4.1 title is Pros and Cons. My reading of the section is
that is more about "general issues and challenges of the overlay" as written
in section 4 above 4.1. Section 4.2 is about specific issues to consider.
3.	In section 5 "When an NVE receives data from a TS", this is the
first time the abbreviation appears in the document maybe just change to
Tennant System.

---

From: "Roni Even" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:58:52 +0300

Hi Marc,

This is OK

Thanks

Roni

From: LASSERRE, MARC (MARC) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 30 May, 2014 10:46 AM
To: Roni Even; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Ge-ART LC review of draft-ietf-nvo3-framework-06

Hi Roni,

Thanks for your feedback. See my replies below.

Marc

  _____  

From: Roni Even [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 9:05 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Ge-ART LC review of draft-ietf-nvo3-framework-06

Reviewer: Roni Even

Review Date:2014-5-30

IESG Telechat date: 

 

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Agreed. The abstract will be changed to:

This document provides a framework for Data Center (DC) Network
Virtualization Overlays (NVO3) and it defines a reference model along with
logical components required to design a solution.

Nits/editorial comments:

ToR and EoR switches are well-known in the DC space. There is no standards
definition of these terms that I know of.

1.	Section 4.1 title is Pros and Cons. My reading of the section is
that is more about "general issues and challenges of the overlay" as written
in section 4 above 4.1. Section 4.2 is about specific issues to consider. 

The begining of section 4.1 describes the benefits of overlays and the
latter part of 4.1 discusses general challenges. Hence the title of this
section.

1.	In section 5 "When an NVE receives data from a TS", this is the
first time the abbreviation appears in the document maybe just change to
Tennant System.

 Agreed. It will be changed to Tenant System.

---

From: "LASSERRE, MARC (MARC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 07:46:27 +0000

Hi Roni,

Marc

________________________________

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments you may receive.

Reviewer: Roni Even

Review Date:2014-5-30

IESG Telechat date:

Major issues:

Minor issues:

I think that the first sentence in section 1 is more in line with the title of the document than the abstract. Propose to change the abstract to mention Data Center.

This document provides a framework for Data Center (DC) Network Virtualization Overlays (NVO3) and it defines a reference model along with logical components required to design a solution.

Nits/editorial comments:

  1.  In section 1.2 ToR and EoR are given as example. Are these well known or is there a need for reference?

ToR and EoR switches are well-known in the DC space. There is no standards definition of these terms that I know of.

  1.  Section 4.1 title is Pros and Cons. My reading of the section is that is more about "general issues and challenges of the overlay" as written in section 4 above 4.1. Section 4.2 is about specific issues to consider.

The begining of section 4.1 describes the benefits of overlays and the latter part of 4.1 discusses general challenges. Hence the title of this section.

  1.  In section 5 "When an NVE receives data from a TS", this is the first time the abbreviation appears in the document maybe just change to Tennant System.