Subject: [Gen-art] ISE review of draft-young-entity-category-02

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 20:28:42 -0400

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Please resolve these comments along with any other Last Call comments
you may receive.

Document: draft-young-entity-category-02
Reviewer: Tom Taylor
Review Date:  8/10/2014
Deadline:    31/10/2014

Summary: Close to ready, with minor issues.

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Remarks (1)-(3) also apply with applicable changes to Sections 4.1-4.2.

(1) The way in which multiple categories are associated with a SAML 
entity is not stated explicitly in Section 3.1. Is this done by one 
Attribute per category or by putting multiple AttributeValues into the 
same Attribute? Section 3.2 implies the latter, but the syntax should be 
clarified.

(2) Quoting a paragraph late in Section 3.2:

    If significant changes are made to a category definition, the new
    version of the category SHOULD be represented by a different category
    URI.

This makes me very uneasy from an interoperability point of view. One 
could get unexpected results from conflating two versions of the same 
category. I assume the Working Group's intention was to let the category 
authority decide the issue.

(3) Quoting the next paragraph in Section 3.2:

    Entity category attribute value URIs MUST be treated as opaque
    strings.

The document does not say for what purpose they have to be so treated. 
Obviously not for resolution (mentioned earlier). Please add some text 
on this.

Nits/editorial comments:

---

From: Ian Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 23:37:09 +0100

> Document: draft-young-entity-category-02

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comments. I'm travelling at the moment, but I hope to corral some people and return a response (and revised text where appropriate) next week sometime.

	-- Ian