Subject: [Gen-art] A *new* batch of IETF LC reviews - 2016-10-13

From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 16:32:44 -0500

Hi all,

The following reviewers have assignments:

Reviewer          LC end      Draft
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Joel Halpern      2016-11-04  draft-bbf-bbf-urn-02

Jouni Korhonen    2016-10-24
                       draft-ietf-ccamp-ospf-availability-extension-07

Lucy Yong         2016-10-24  draft-ietf-pim-join-attributes-for-lisp-05

Matt Miller       2016-10-25  draft-ietf-p2psip-share-09

Meral Shirazipour 2016-10-25  draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual-10

Orit Levin        2016-10-25  draft-ietf-httpauth-mutual-algo-06

The assignments are captured in the spreadsheets:
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/dav/genart/gen-art.html
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/dav/genart/gen-art-by-reviewer.html

I will make the assignments in the review tool when it has been fully 
restored.

The template is included below.

Thanks,

Jean

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. The General Area
Review Team (Gen-ART) reviews all IETF documents being processed
by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

For more information, please see the FAQ at

<http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.

Document:
Reviewer:
Review Date:
IETF LC End Date:
IESG Telechat date: (if known)

Summary:

Major issues:

Minor issues:

Nits/editorial comments:

---

From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:26:06 -0500

Assignments have been made in the review tool.

Thanks!

Jean

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 16:51:38 -0400

Document: draft-bbf-bbf-urn-02
     Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespaces for Broadband Forum
Reviewer: Joel M. Halpern
Review Date: 14-October-2016
IETF LC End Date: 4-November-2016
IESG Telechat date: N/A

Summary: This document is almost ready for publication as an 
Informational RFC.

Major issues:
     RFC 3406 states that the namespace considerations section should 
indicate why a new namespace is needed.  While this is pretty obvious, 
the text does not actually say anything in that section to explain it.
     In particular, I would expect that section to explain why 3 NIDs 
are needed rather than just 1.

Minor issues:
     The template in RFC 3406 indicates the the section in each NID on 
the Process of identifier assignment should "detail the mechanism and or 
authorities for assigning URNs to resources."  The draft simply says 
that the BBF will provide procedures.  Do those procedures exist?  If 
not, there seems to be a minor problem.  If they do exist, it would seem 
sensible to include a pointer to the place where the BBF publicly 
documents those procedures, so that people using this information who 
might want to register something can understand what the rules and 
expectations are. (I realize that the RFC 6289 example this is based on 
did not include such a pointer, which is why I am making this a minor 
comment instead of a major one.)

Nits/editorial comments:

---

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 16:53:07 +0000

Hi Joel,

> Major issues:
>      RFC 3406 states that the namespace considerations section should indicate
> why a new namespace is needed.  While this is pretty obvious, the text does
> not actually say anything in that section to explain it.
>      In particular, I would expect that section to explain why 3 NIDs are needed
> rather than just 1.

Thanks for the comments. I propose adding the following text at the end of Namespace Considerations (the mention of the name change is part of a proposal to resolve a separate comment asking how "dslforum-org" relates to BBF):
   Three NIDs are defined. The "broadband-forum-org" and "dslforum-org" 
   (Broadband Forum changed its name from DSL Forum in 2008) NIDs have 
   been used for many years by BBF without formal registration. As they are 
   referenced by multiple BBF specifications currently in common use, BBF is 
   requesting to formalize them. The new "bbf" NID will be used for new work efforts.

> Minor issues:
>      The template in RFC 3406 indicates the the section in each NID on the
> Process of identifier assignment should "detail the mechanism and or
> authorities for assigning URNs to resources."  The draft simply says that the
> BBF will provide procedures.  Do those procedures exist?  If not, there seems
> to be a minor problem.  If they do exist, it would seem sensible to include a
> pointer to the place where the BBF publicly documents those procedures, so
> that people using this information who might want to register something can
> understand what the rules and expectations are. (I realize that the RFC 6289
> example this is based on did not include such a pointer, which is why I am
> making this a minor comment instead of a major one.)

I'm struggling a bit with this one in trying to figure out what's the best thing to say here. At this point in time, URN assignments only happen through creation of a BBF document that identifies the URN. BBF processes for document creation are published on the members-only part of the website, and only BBF members can participate in creating a BBF document. There is currently no plan to allow non-members to register URNs. There is also no plan to allow BBF members to register URNs for their own use (creating a BBF document requires interest and participation from at least 3 different companies). Would it be appropriate to say "BBF procedures for URN assignment are noted at [BBF-RESOURCES] <http://www.broadband-forum.org/assignments>" and on that page explain that URN assignment requires BBF membership and going through the BBF project and document processes?

Thanks again,
Barbara

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 19:51:38 -0400

Thanks Barbarra.

With regard to the assignment process text, what you have would work.  I 
would suggest dropping the text about membership and simply talking 
about going through the BBF document creation and approval process.

Yours,
Joel