Subject: Re: Interesting attacks

From: John Wells <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 13:44:20 -0400

Adam,

I'm also working in the location privacy domain, and I've been
communicating with Alberto.  Claude Castelluccia and Gabriel Montenegro
have been putting out some drafts on location privacy, but in general I
think it has been getting much less press than it should.  When cellular
telephones jump on the bandwagon, there is going to be a whole bunch of
new IPv6 devices, and there better be a way to hide their location if
they so desire.

I've put my document up on
http://www.ee.vt.edu/~wells

Here are a couple location privacy drafts:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3041.txt   (Temporary IPv6 addresses)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-castelluccia-mobileip-privacy-00.txt 
(Privacy extensions for Mobile IPv6)

If you have any questions or comments, I'd love to hear from you.

Regards,
John

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 01:25:42PM -0400, Adam Shostack wrote:
> Alberto Escudero has been doing some interesting work on analyzing
> what you can learn from pseudonymous data.  I think its worth keeping
> in mind as we think about issues of privacy that removing the name
> doesn't always address all the privacy issues.
> 
> http://www.it.kth.se/~aep/publications/
> http://www.thefeature.com/printable.jsp?pageid=12550
> 
> -- 
> "It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once."
> 					               -Hume
> 

-- 
John WELLS
Virginia Tech Networking and Visualization Lab
PGP Public key: http://www.ee.vt.edu/~wells/pgpkey.txt