Subject: Who defines Identities

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 22:23:50 -0400

Can we consider a requirement where the using protocol MAY define 
the Entity-Identifiers?  I would not want to have two namespaces
in most cases.  If the using protocol has an appropriate namespace,
then the Entity-Identifier should be able to use it.

There are several consequences of such a requirement:
	Authentication (embedded authentication couldn't be
		dependent on the form of Entity-Indentifiers)
	Object data format (would have to hold arbitrary
		sized data chunk)
	Interwork of multiple systems with Location object
		crosses protocol boundarie

The last might be a relatively unsolvable problem; the former
two probably aren't much of deal.  I think the idea that geopriv
defines an identity namespace just so it's possible to cross
boundaries, at the cost of having multiple identities, is
not credible.

Brian