Subject: Re: Q&C #'s 11-20 regarding geopriv-reqs-02

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:25:27 -0500

> >    "A main goal of the geopriv working group is to define a Location
> >     Object (LO), to be used to convey both Location Information and
> >     basic privacy-protecting instructions:

and

> >        Location Object (LO): This data contains the Location Information
> >           of the Target, and other fields including an identity or
> >           pseudonym of the Target, time information, core privacy
> >           policies, authenticators, etc.

Having tuned-out of geopriv some time ago for reasons of basic incompatibility,
I want to make certain that onward-transport of <mumble> is not-in-scope for
geopriv.

In particular, the data collection practices of some eventual sink of some
potentially meta-data-labled data flow, and of some one or more intermediate
nodes, is a NON-GOAL. As opposed to a GOAL of coming up with a "basic privacy
protecting instruction" or "core privacy policies" of a collected datum, and
not a data collector.

Cheers,
Eric

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:16:17 -0500

Jorge,

Thanks for your reply.

The requirements for a "definition" (specification) of a <mumble> are
(in geopriv) the (abuse of language) "policies" of datum originators.
[How one gets from there to actual syntax is TBD.]

Compare:

The requirements for a "definition" (specification) of a <mumble> are
(in provreg) the (abuse of language) "policies" of onward transporters
of data. [How one gets from there to actual syntax is TBD.]

So, just to be anal.

The geopriv model contains sources, and may contain intermediate nodes,
and eventual sinks.

The provreg model contains nodes that are intermediate and eventual sinks,
it does not contain sources.

In my own uniquely clumsy way, I'm attempting to anticipate some claim(s)
that (abuse of language) "policy", hence mechanism, for each model, are
indistinguishable.

I am cheered, and I hope you are as well,
Eric