Subject: [Geopriv] draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-01.txt - whose location?

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:59:48 -0500

Description of issue: Document mixes location of user and location of access
Submitter name: Joel M. Halpern
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: 18-November-2004
Reference:
Document: draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-01.txt
Comment type: T
Priority: 1
Section: Multiple
Rationale/Explanation of issue:  The location of a user is very different 
from the location of an access device.
Length description of problem:
     The document states that it provides the location of the access device 
providing network service.  The document then goes on to describe this as 
"the users location".  The document even describes this location as being 
useful for services other than charging (cf section 4.2).  However, what is 
needed for accounting is very different from the location for service 
delivery.  The correlation between the two depends many factors outside of 
the scope of this draft.  Mixing the two is not helpful.
     The information format in fact seems designed to provide not the 
access device location, but the location of the subscriber.
     It is also likely that if access identification is desired, geographic 
location will often not be the correct mechanism.

Requested change:
     Decide whether this document is intended to provide subscriber 
location (which is rarely directly useful for AAA), or access device / 
network location information.  In either case, remove the inappropriate 
material.
     If access device identification is desired, please indicate why 
operator defined tokens are not sufficient.  And reference where such 
tokens are when they are needed.

_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv