Subject: [Geopriv] GEOPRIV and ECRIT experiments at IETF 72

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:37:08 +0100

I wanted to let folks know about an experiment that some folks from the
GEOPRIV and ECRIT working groups have been working to set up at IETF 71 
to see if we can deliver some basic location-based applications 
(including emergency calling), using the IETF network as a platform.

The prinicpal challenge in creating location-based applications is 
getting location in the first place.  This experiment is getting 
location via the IETF network: When you send the location server a 
request for your location, it looks up which AP you're connected to and 
returns the location of that AP (if it knows it).

Based on this location platform, we've created a few different 
applications, including
-- Basic location mapping
-- ECRIT emergency calling
-- Location-enhanced Jabber presence
-- LoST-based discovery of nearby points of interest (e.g., museums)

Much more information is available on the web page we've created at the 
following URI:
<http://geopriv.googlepages.com/>

Please feel free to send email to me if you're interested in 
participating or helping out in any way, or if you have any feedback on 
the experiment.

Thanks
--Richard
_______________________________________________
Geopriv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/geopriv

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:38:26 +0100

... and of course, I mean IETF 72 in the first paragraph ...