Subject: [Geopriv] nit on draft-ietf-geopriv-res-gw-lis-discovery

From: Kipp Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:34:14 -0500

A minor nit and exposing more of my bias...

In the Introduction, I don't agree with the statement that "A Location Information Server (LIS) is a service provided by an access network." (emphasis added). I think an access network may provide a LIS, but LIS is not exclusive to access networks.  Similarly, one could say that LIS may use knowledge of the access network...rather than it 'uses knowledge of the access network'.

Bottom line, I think the current language squeezes the definition of a LIS into a smaller box than it actually is.

>From RFC6280:
Some entities performing the LG role are designed only to provide
Targets with their own locations, as opposed to distributing a
Target’s location to others. The process of providing a Target with
its own location is known within Geopriv as Location Configuration.
The term "Location Information Server" (LIS) is often used to
describe the entity that performs this function. However, a LIS may
also perform other functions, such as providing a Target’s location
to other entities.

Cheers,

Kipp
..............................................
Kipp Jones
Chief Architect/Privacy Czar
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
m: 404.213.9293 | @skykipp