Subject: [Geopriv] FYI: [PStaff] GAO study on In-Car Location Based Services

From: "Carl Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 11:47:24 -0700

Thought this report might be of interest.

Cheers

Carl

From: GEORGE PERCIVALL 
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:28 AM
To: OGC Pstaff 
Subject: [PStaff] GAO study on In-Car Location Based Services

IN-CAR LOCATION-BASED SERVICES 
Companies Are Taking Steps to Protect Privacy, but  Some Risks May Not Be Clear to Consumers

December 2013 
http://www.gao.gov/assets/660/659509.pdf  

What GAO Found 

Representatives from all 10 selected companies—auto manufacturers, portable 
navigation device (PND) companies, and developers of map and navigation 
applications for mobile devices—said they collect location data to provide 
consumers with location-based services. For example, companies collect 
location data to provide turn-by-turn directions. Nine companies share location 
data with third-party companies, such as traffic information providers, to provide 
services to consumers. Representatives from two companies said they share 
data where personally identifiable information has been removed (de-identified 
data) for purposes beyond providing services (e.g., for research), although such 
purposes are not always disclosed to consumers. All company representatives 
said that they do not share personally identifiable location data with or sell such 
data to marketing companies or data brokers. 
All 10 selected companies have taken steps consistent with some, but not all, 
industry-recommended privacy practices. In addition, the companies’ privacy 
practices were, in certain instances, unclear, which could make it difficult for 
consumers to understand the privacy risks that may exist. 

George Percivall
[email-masked]
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gpercivall
@Percivall on Twitter
+1-301-560-6439
http://www.opengeospatial.org/
OGC -- Making Location Count

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
PStaff mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.opengeospatial.org/mailman/listinfo/pstaff