Subject: grow: kurtis' reply to pekka's observations

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:26:34 -0500

[Apologies for the weird quoting and attribution; for some reason I am 
occasionally missing mail from the grow list, and so I am having to 
paste text from the web archive. Quite possibly this is my fault and 
not UoO's.]

Kurtis said:

> Pekka said:
>
> >    Anycast Node: an internally-connected collection of hosts and
> > routers
> >       which together provide service for an anycast service address.
> >
> > ==> the way you say this is confusing '.. hosts and routers', and can
> > be
> > read two ways:
> >  1) "one instance providing a particular anycast service", or
> >  2) "an anycast service, including all the nodes that implement it"
> > I think you mean the latter, but it requires rewording to make that
> > clear. I suggest you don't use the plural tense.
>
> I think I will leave this to the native english speaker of the two
> authors :-)

I meant (1) in Pekka's text above.

I am not sure how that text could be interpreted as (2), but clearly 
the text could bear improvement since (2) was Pekka's assumption.

How about if I append "The entire anycast system for the service 
consists of two or more separate Anycast Nodes." to that definition. 
Would that make things clearer?

Joe

_________________________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow.html
web archive:        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:53:18 +0200 (EET)

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Joe Abley wrote:
> I am not sure how that text could be interpreted as (2), but clearly the text 
> could bear improvement since (2) was Pekka's assumption.

To be fair, I only initially started thinking of 2), but based on the 
circumstancial evidence, realized you were really meaning 1) :)

> How about if I append "The entire anycast system for the service consists of 
> two or more separate Anycast Nodes." to that definition. Would that make 
> things clearer?

Yes, please!  Thanks.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_________________________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow.html
web archive:        http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/grow/