Subject: [GROW] FIB aggregation

From: Lan Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:08:35 -0500

Hi all,

Here's a pointer to the FIB aggregation Internet draft submitted by  
Beichuan Zhang, Lixia Zhang and I: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft- 
zhang-fibaggregation-02

Your comments are welcome.  Lixia will present our work at GROW.

Abstract:
The rapid growth of Forwarding Information Base (FIB) has raised
concerns among many Internet Service Providers.  One potential
solution to this problem is FIB aggregation, i.e. letting each router
aggregate its FIB entries without affecting the forwarding paths
taken by data traffic.  It is a simple local software optimization
within a router, requiring no changes to routing protocols or router
hardware.  To understand the effectiveness of using FIB aggregation
to extend router lifetime, in this draft we present several FIB
aggregation algorithms and evaluate their performance using routing
tables and updates collected from tens of networks.  Our results show
that FIB aggregation can reduce the FIB table size by as much as 70%
with small computational overhead.  We also show that the
computational overhead can be controlled through various mechanisms.

Lan