Subject: [GROW] I-D Action:draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 03:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA)
	Author(s)       : P. Francis, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2010-08-31

The continued growth in the Default Free Routing Table (DFRT)
stresses the global routing system in a number of ways.  One of the
most costly stresses is FIB size: ISPs often must upgrade router
hardware simply because the FIB has run out of space, and router
vendors must design routers that have adequate FIB.  FIB suppression
is an approach to relieving stress on the FIB by NOT loading selected
RIB entries into the FIB.  Simple Virtual Aggregation (S-VA) is a
simple form of Virtual Aggregation (VA) that allows any and all edge
routers to shrink their FIB requirements substantially and therefore
increase their useful lifetime.  S-VA does not change FIB
requirements for core routers.  S-VA is extremely easy to
configure---considerably more so than the various tricks done today
to extend the life of edge routers.  S-VA can be deployed
autonomously by an ISP (cooperation between ISPs is not required),
and can co-exist with legacy routers in the ISP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-grow-simple-va-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.