Subject: [GROW] RFC 6198 on Requirements for the Graceful Shutdown of BGP Sessions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:25:37 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6198

        Title:      Requirements for the Graceful Shutdown 
                    of BGP Sessions 
        Author:     B. Decraene, P. Francois,
                    C. Pelsser, Z. Ahmad,
                    A.J. Elizondo Armengol, T. Takeda
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 37906
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-grow-bgp-graceful-shutdown-requirements-07.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6198.txt

The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) is heavily used in Service Provider
networks for both Internet and BGP/MPLS VPN services.  For resiliency
purposes, redundant routers and BGP sessions can be deployed to reduce
the consequences of an Autonomous System Border Router (ASBR) or BGP
session breakdown on customers' or peers' traffic.  However, simply
taking down or even bringing up a BGP session for maintenance purposes
may still induce connectivity losses during the BGP convergence.  This
is no longer satisfactory for new applications (e.g., voice over IP,
online gaming, VPN).  Therefore, a solution is required for the
graceful shutdown of a (set of) BGP session(s) in order to limit the
amount of traffic loss during a planned shutdown.  This document
expresses requirements for such a solution.  This document is not 
an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
published for informational purposes.

This document is a product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC