Subject: [GROW] Protocol Action: 'Graceful BGP session shutdown' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2018 10:49:22 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Graceful BGP session shutdown'
  (draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Global Routing Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Warren Kumari and Benoit Claise.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-grow-bgp-gshut/

Technical Summary

  This draft standardizes a new well-known BGP community
  GRACEFUL_SHUTDOWN to signal the graceful shutdown of paths.  This
  draft also describes operational procedures which use this community
  to reduce the amount of traffic lost when BGP peering sessions are
  about to be shut down deliberately, e.g. for planned maintenance.

Working Group Summary

  This document spent a long time in WG (10 years or so), 
  with progress early on, then awaiting other work to finish,
  and finally a last surge of call/response/fixes and now we
  have consensus.

Document Quality

   There are existing platforms which respect the draft
   community, the document got some last minute cleanup / reorg
   and is in good shape today.

Personnel

   Shepherd: Christopher Morrow
   Responsible AD: Warren Kumari