Subject: RE: Some general questions on GSMP

From: Shen Gangxiang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:57:14 +0800

Hi, Folks,

I have some further questions:
1. Since GSMP is a protocol only to manage connections in a switch, then how
does controller know that a connection in the switch should exist between
these two ports, but not those two ports? Do we still need some other
protocols, which can provide some related information on the required
connections in the switch, to work together with GSMP? If so, do we need
some rules on this cooperation?
2. To my knowledge, in the most situations, we may use those common
management protocols such as OSPF, BGP, RSVP and so on to manage a network.
Are there any practical applications which require GSMP? Could you tell me
any examples?

Many thanks for your information!

Gangxiang

>  -----Original Message-----
> From: 	Shen Gangxiang  
> Sent:	Friday, September 29, 2000 4:55 PM
> To:	[email-masked]'
> Subject:	Some general questions on GSMP
> 
> Hi, folks,
> 
> I am new in this discussion group. I have some questions on GSMP:
> 1.Based on my understanding, it seems that GSMP is a protocol only to
> manage connections in a switch, not those peer-to-peer
> connections(crossing multiple links). To establish a peer-to-peer one, it
> needs to cooperate with other protocols including routing protocols (e.g.
> OSPF) and signalling protocol (e.g. CR-LDP)
> 2. If the controller and the controlled switch are deployed in the same
> box, do we still need such a kind of protocol? 
> 
> Thanks in advance for any comment!
> 
> Gangxiang

---

From: "Avri Doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 23:28:59 -0400

Hi,

> some rules on this cooperation?

Controllers are definately assumed to use some set of protocols to 
coordinate their assignement and use of lables in establishing 
connections.  within a MPLs context, this might involve using CRLDP.
In other situations, it might be established via COPS or some other
mechanism.  

> Are there any practical applications which require GSMP? Could you tell me

GSMP is useful when there is a desire to physically separate the control
plane (where the OSPF or CRLDP is run) and the data forwarding plane.
In this case the controller uses GSMP to convey connection state to 
the remote switch.

> Many thanks for your information!

You are most welcome

a. 

-- 

Avri Doria
+1 401 663 5024