Subject: Proposal for rework of charter

From: "Avri Doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 14:12:12 -0400

The following is the current wording of the proposed re-charter of the 
group.  Before sending it on to the ADs, I am looking for WG consensus
on sending it on.  Please comment within the next 2 weeks 
(i.e., by 16 October)

thanks
a.
-- 

Avri Doria
+1 401 663 5024

---------------
GSMP WG Re-Charter

The base General Switch Management Protocol(GSMPv3) protocol is about
to be submitted to the IESG with the request that it be made a
proposed standard.

Currently the GSMP protocol provides switch configuration control and
reporting, port management, connection control, QoS and traffic
engineering control and the reporting of statistics and asynchronous
events for label switch devices.

The current working group is responsible for completing the
standardization of the GSMP protocol under the current charter.
Future work includes:

  adding support for optical switching
  defining mechanisms for switch partitioning 
  defining mechanisms for control of IP packet switches.

- Support for Optical Switching

The architecture of some optical switches makes the ability to remotely
control the connection state of a switch important.  GSMP has been
designed especially for such remote control operations.  GSMP is
currently lacking in the specific semantics necessary for optical
switches. The WG will add these capabilities to the GSMP specification.
This work will be done in cooperation with the IP over Optics working
group.

- Switch Partitioning

The current version of GSMP is designed to work with a single static
switch partition. There is interest in having GSMP support multiple
partitions in which resource allocation is dynamic and variable between
the switch partitions.  This will be achieved by adding capabilities to
GSMP and by using available management tools, e.g. MIBS and PIBS.

- IP Packet Switches

Since GSMP can be used as an adjunct to the MPLS protocol, the group
will continue to co-ordinate with the MPLS group to make sure that the
primitives required by a MPLS controller are available in the
protocol.

Milestones:

- Document requirements for switch partitioning (Spring 2001)

- Document requirements for control of optical switches (Spring 2001)

- Document requirements for control of IP packet switches (Spring
  2001)

- Produce GSMP extensions, MIBs, and PIBs to support the requirements
  (Fall 2001)

- Update base GSMPv3 as implementation experience mandates

---

From: [email-masked] (Joachim Buerkle)
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 06:25:50 +0100

Avri,
that's fine for me.
Thanks
Joachim

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -