Subject: ForCes Recommendation

From: "Avri Doria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:34:26 -0400

Hi,

One of the chartered items of the GSMP groups is the following:

            Analyze role of GSMP for control element separation 
            and make recommendation as to a separate WG for extending 
            GSMP for this

At the last meeting, there was an extended session to discuss this
issue.

The conclusion of that meeting (taken from the minutes) was as follows:

            The general room response was that ForCES should first 
            develop requirements and functional model and that it was 
            too early to be leaning towards any particular protocol 
            (solution). Once technical requirements and model are 
            defined then Forces would compare them against GSMP and 
            make decisions.

It remains for the WG to make its recommendation to the IESG regarding
the separation of control element.

I would like to list to discuss the following text as the possible
recommendation of this group.  Once we reach rough consensus on
appropriate wording, we will be able to forward the recommendation
on to our ADs and Technical Advisor.

          The GSMP WG suggests that requirements for the separation
          of an IP control element from the forwarding element be
          first documented by another WG, e.g. the proposed ForCes
          group.  Only after these requirements have been established
          and approved, will it be time to review GSMP as a possible
          candidate solution for those requirements.

The open discussion period for this issue is scheduled to last until
18 June.  At that time, the rough consensus of the WG will be passed
on to the ADs and the Technical Advisor of the GSMP group.

thanks

a.
Co-chair GSMP Wg
-- 

Avri Doria
+1 401 663 5024
===============