Subject: [Hipsec] Document Action: 'HIP (Host Identity Protocol) Immediate Carriage and Conveyance of Upper- layer Protocol Signaling (HICCUPS)' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:00:27 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'HIP (Host Identity Protocol) Immediate Carriage and Conveyance of
   Upper- layer Protocol Signaling (HICCUPS)'
  <draft-ietf-hip-hiccups-05.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the Host Identity Protocol Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Jari Arkko.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-hiccups/

Technical Summary

  This document defines a new HIP (Host Identity Protocol) packet type
  called DATA.  HIP DATA packets are used to securely and reliably
  convey arbitrary protocol messages over the Internet and various
  overlay networks.

Working Group Summary

  There was strong consensus on this document.

Document Quality

  There are prototype implementations of this spec. A few vendors have
  expressed interest in implementing this in the context of HIP BONE
  overlays.

Personnel

  David Ward is the document shepherd for this document. Ralph Droms
  is the responsible AD for this document.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following change in section 3.1.2:

OLD:

   Before two HIP hosts exchange upper-layer traffic, they perform a
   four-way handshake that is referred to as the HIP base exchange.
   Figure 2 illustrates the HIP base exchange.  The initiator sends an

NEW:

   Typically, before two HIP hosts exchange upper-layer traffic, they
perform a
   four-way handshake that is referred to as the HIP base exchange.
   Figure 2 illustrates the HIP base exchange.  The initiator sends an