Subject: [HOKEY] Questions regarding Re-Authentication signaling

From: "Katrin Höper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:42:08 -0500

Hi V. Narayanan, L. Dondeti, everybody.

I have a few questions about re-authentication signaling and envisioned
system implementations.

1) How does a MN contact a target authenticator to initiate
re-authentication?
For example, will there be two options like in pre-authentication
(draft-ietf-hokey-preauth-ps-01) to enable direct and indirect
re-authentication?
And if so, what changes to existing systems/protocols need to be made to
allow re-authentication? Would there be any differences to
pre-authentication signaling?

2) In my understanding, re-authentication should enable smooth handovers
whenever possible, i.e. ideally re-authentication with a target
authenticator is initiated *before* the current link goes down. This assumes
that MN can either operate two (or more) interfaces simultaneously or
maintain multiple connections on the same interface. Are these assumptions
shared by the HOKEY WG?

3) Is it envisioned that MN can initiate re-authentication with
*multiple*target authenticators simultaneously?

This seems necessary to allow smooth handovers, because the MN may initiate
the re-authentication before the MN's movement can be predicted with
absolute accuracy.

That's all for now. Looking forward to your replies.

Best regards,

Katrin Hoeper
_______________________________________________
HOKEY mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hokey