Subject: [homenet] Multicast scoping

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:05:49 -0500

All,
     I seem to be the bane of homenet given my stance on multicast scope
zones.  Probably because I am a co-author on RFC 4007. :)

     After some discussions, it seems there is a reasonable way to allow
the homenet arch to use the admin-scope multicast range.  My original
concern, as documented in my DISCUSS, is that RFC 4291 requires scope 4
and larger be administratively configured.  I will contend that *if* all
the homenet boundary routers can automatically set a boundary based on
getting a prefix delegation from an ISP, that satisfies the
administratively configured rule 4291.

If the WG is agreeable with that, there are a few things I would like to
see in the arch doc:

1. References to site-local scope need to be changed to admin-scope

2. Some guidance on the setting of that boundary triggered by an
administrative function like PD is needed

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2013 13:10:18 -0500

One more point...

> administrative function like PD is needed

This same approach could be used to contain any ULA prefixes generated
as well.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:12:25 -0800

This part of the agenda today includes quite a bit on the thorny problem of Border Discovery, you are more the welcome to join if you can!

Security
  1040 Michael Behringer, draft-behringer-homenet-trust-bootstrap-01 (10 min)
  1050 Markus Stenberg and Erik Kline, draft-kline-homenet-default-perimeter-00
  (implementation report) (15 min)
Homenet / HIPnet Design Team Results
  1105  Timothy Winters, draft-winters-homenet-sper-interaction-00 (20 min)

On Nov 7, 2013, at 10:05 AM, Brian Haberman wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> homenet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/homenet