Subject: [homenet] Zeroconf naming architecture

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:26:49 +0100

Hi,

During the IETF in Vancouver most questions concerned the zeroconf
aspect of the homenet naming architecture [1]. I would like to clarify
what zeroconf could mean. I expect your feed backs, comments and
thoughts for improving it.

I. Small recap about the drafts:

    a) draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation [1]: describes
DNS zone the CPE would publish on the Internet is outsource to a third
party. The goal is to avoid exposing the CPE to resource exhaustion
and DNSSEC misconfiguration. Our motivation is to properly re-use DNS
mechanisms to ease naming configurations on CPE and eventually provide
zeroconf. The draft points out configuration parameters for the
architecture.

    b) draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options [2]:
describes the DHCP options to automatically set the homenet naming
architecture.

II What is Zero conf?

Suppose the information is provided by the DHCP.

    - a) It can be completely Zeroconf, if the end user accepts
"user.isp" provided by the ISP as the domain name for its homenet. In
this case, there is no configuration at all.
    - b) Similarly, if the end user and the ISP have agreed for
"myhomenet.isp", we can consider this as Zeroconf. In this case a
regular user does not have to configure anthing.
    - c) If the end user wants "myhomenet.com". One way is that
"myhomenet.com" is redirected to the "user.isp". In this way the
configuration is performed by the registrar of "myhomenet.com" and no
configuration is performed on the CPE. We may consider this as
zeroconf too as we can hardly provide less configuration. In any case,
no one can guess the user wants "myhomenet.com" and register for him.
    - d) Another way to do so is that the end user configures the
informations stored in the DHCP options. This can be done once for all
via a web interface and may require multiple parameters to register.
In this case, the zone is not anymore hosted by the ISP. This case is
also a configure-once-for-all. This may be also considered zeroconf?

[1] http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mglt-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-03.txt
[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Subject: draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

Hi,

Please find the new version of the draft
draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01. It defines DHCP
Options to configure the Homenet naming architecture.

Feel free to comment!

BR,
Daniel

A new version of I-D, draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Daniel Migault and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options
Revision: 01
Title: DHCP Options for Homenet Naming Architecture
Document date: 2014-02-13
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 18
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options/
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mglt-homenet-naming-architecture-dhc-options-01

Abstract:
   The home network naming architecture requires a complex naming
   configuration on the CPE.  This configuration MAY not be handled
   easily by the average end user.  Furthermore, such misconfiguration
   MAY result in making home network unreachable.

   This document proposes a DHCP options that provide the CPE all
   necessary parameters to set up the home network naming architecture.

   First, this DHCP options provide automatic configuration and avoid
   most end users' misconfiguration.  Most average end users may not
   require specific configuration, and their ISP default configuration
   MAY fully address their needs.  In that case, the naming homenet
   architecture configuration will be completely transparent to the end
   users.  Then, saving naming configuration outside the CPE, makes it
   resilient to change of CPE or CPE upgrades.  Such configuration may
   also be configured by the end user, via the customer area of their
   ISP.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

--
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58

-- 
Daniel Migault
Orange Labs -- Security
+33 6 70 72 69 58