Subject: [homenet] Fwd: Homenet draft reorg and generalization

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:55:28 +0100

Dear WG,

To help organize the work Homenet has done thus far, Ray and I worked with
our document authors at the last IETF (and since) to come up with a
document and protocol organization that should help advance the more stable
work that we have completed thus far and also enable Homenet's work to be
used in other WGs as required. Here's the result:

These two WG documents:

draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment-01
draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-02

Become these three WG documents:

draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment-02
draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-00
draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-03

The three new documents inherit directly from the two existing in a
criss-cross pattern, along with some security-related text taken
from draft-barth-homenet-hncp-security-trust-01 (which, as pointed out by
Ray before, should have simply been part of the hncp-02 draft to begin with
rather than separated out).

*draft-prefix-assignment-02 *will become even more generic, allowing it to
be more readily used as a normative reference within other work.
prefix-assignment-02 will include more text regarding the mathematical
proof of the algorithm itself, and all homenet specific text will be moved
to draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-03.

*draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-00 *(Dynamic Network Consensus Protocol) will
include generalized parts of draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-02. As above, homenet
specifics will be included in draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-03.

*draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-03* thus becomes the base document for how to
apply draft-ietf-homenet-prefix-assignment and draft-ietf-homenet-dncp
(with normative references to each) in a homenet context, as well as any
other homenet-specific work (including possibly what we end up deciding for
routing).

We'll leave details of what section goes where for the editors/authors to
work out, we believe at least some of this work is already underway so
hopefully we will see some results soon. Many thanks for all of the hard
editing work as we know doc reorg is painful. Also thanks for all the
recent reviews, there have been a lot of eyeballs on these documents of
late and we expect the next set of revisions published to be improved
accordingly.

- Mark & Ray