Subject: [homenet] Incremental Testing & Deployment of HNCP and Routing Protocols

From: Steven Barth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 14:47:50 +0100

Hello everyone,

I've written up a little transitional extension to our HNCP reference 
implementation. The intention is to be able to keep shipping HNCP with 
e.g. OpenWrt, to be able to test HNCP independently of or together with 
one or more routing protocols (e.g. for a future plugfest as suggested 
on the ML) and to be able to encourage people to play with it and get 
some early adoption and feedback without being blocked by a missing 
decision or lack of implementation of any chosen IGP.

This extension is intended to be obsolete once the WG has agreed upon a 
routing protocol and once there is a reasonably deployable 
implementation of it that can be shipped with HNCP's reference 
implementation.
That said the draft is purely informational and describes "non-standard" 
behavior of HNCP's reference implementation. It is aimed at 
implementers, integraters and testers and not intended for 
standardization unless there is explicit desire for that. Feedback is 
nevertheless appreciated from all parties.

As for the reference implementation not much will change, we will still 
support source-specific babel and autoisis and - as noted in the past - 
I will still try to help integrate (and potentially package) any other 
homenet-ready routing protocol implementation that anyone desires.

Draft: 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-barth-homenet-incremental-deployment/

Cheers,

Steven