Subject: [homenet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 01:19:48 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Distributed Node Consensus Protocol
        Authors         : Markus Stenberg
                          Steven Barth
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-01.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2015-03-05

Abstract:
   This document describes the Distributed Node Consensus Protocol
   (DNCP), a generic state synchronization protocol which uses Trickle
   and Merkle trees.  DNCP is transport agnostic and leaves some of the
   details to be specified in profiles, which define actual
   implementable DNCP based protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Markus Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 11:32:10 +0200

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-01

Appendix C.  Changelog

   draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-01:

   o  Fixed keep-alive semantics to consider unicast requests also
      updates of most recently consistent, and added proactive unicast
      request to ensure even inconsistent keep-alive messages eventually
      triggering consistency timestamp update.

   o  Facilitated (simple) read-only clients by making Node Connection
      TLV optional if just using DNCP for read-only purposes.

   o  Added text describing how to deal with "dense" networks, but left
      actual numbers and mechanics up to DNCP profiles and (local)
      configurations.

Also added one relatively major outstanding issue - how to deal with ‘big data’; even given TCP, currently there is limit of 64kb that a node can publish, and updates of that data are inefficient. Several alternative schemes underoing design, watch this space :)

So not quite LC-ready after all; the first change especially was critical, as under heavy load there was flapping due to the new (passive) keepalive definition of dncp-00 being somewhat more strict in what it accepts as ‘present’, compared to hncp-02 ping scheme).

Cheers,

-Markus