Subject: [homenet] Shncpd news

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 20:21:28 +0200

Over the last week, shncpd has learnt:

  - to participate in DHCPv4 election;
  - to announce delegated prefixes (over HNCP and the routing protocol);
  - to configure the local host;
  - to deal with ad-hoc and leaf interfaces.

It's not quite compliant yet, but it's getting there.  The known issues
are described on

  http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr/~jch/software/homenet/shncpd.html

It's only been tested with up to 3 nodes (in various topologies), so there
probably are bugs left.

Quick demo number 1: instant access-point:

    # set up IPv4 NAT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

    # set up routing
    babeld -C 'redistribute local deny' -C 'redistribute proto 43 allow' wlan0

    # announce two prefixes and a name server over HNCP, RA and DHCPv4
    shncpd -E 2001:db8:42::/48 -E 10.0.0.0/8 -N 8.8.8.8 wlan0

Quick demo number 2: configure the local host using HNCP rather than DHCP,
and get roaming for free:

    # set up routing
    babeld -C 'redistribute local deny' -C 'redistribute proto 43 allow' wlan0

    # run shncpd with no RA and no DCHPv4 but with a configuration script
    shncpd -D -R -s ./shncpd-script.sh wlan0

There's no support for assigning a stable prefix to loopback yet, so
roaming will cause renumbering whenever we move to a link that already has
a prefix assigned to it.

-- Juliusz