Subject: [homenet] Update on RFC 7788 and .home

From: Mark Townsley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:27:27 +0200

Dear Homenet,

Ray and I have agreed on the following with our AD:

   1.

   A short WG draft has just been published updating RFC 7788 that redacts
   the paragraph giving a default value of “.home” for the Homenet domain from
   that RFC.  This should help mitigate the immediate political and
   process-related issues.

   2.

   A second WG draft will be published that will include an RFC 6761
   process application for a suitable special use domain name for HNCP, and
   text clarifying the role of that domain name within HNCP.

For the former, we have accepted Ted Lemon’s draft-ietf-homenet-redact-00
as a WG document*. We would like to advance this document to the IESG
quickly, proceeding to WGLC before the Seoul submission deadline.

For the latter, Pierre Pfister (and co-authors) will submit a document over
the next few weeks, also before the Seoul submission deadline.  Whilst this
document may take longer to advance, Terry has agreed to “cluster” the two
documents such that they are published by the RFC Editor together.

- Mark

* the observant amongst you may notice that Ted’s document was first
submitted about a month ago. We’ve been keeping it “on hold” whilst sorting
out what document #2 above might look like and who would commit to working
on it.