Subject: Re: [hrpc] Values and Networks – Steps Toward Exploring their Relationships

From: Corinne Cath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 15:06:16 +0100

Dear Roland,

I hope this email find you well.

Thank you for sharing this paper it is very interesting. Upon reading it I
had the following questions:

- Do you believe that it might be interesting to also include the Ruggie
principles in your discussion of human rights in paragraph 2.1?

- "However, unlike physical measurements the theoretical knowledge required
for establishing valid quantified measurements of moral values in general
[22] and values of human rights in particular does not exist
​." ​Although I agree that it is difficult to establish quantifiers for
measuring moral values there exist legal tests to quantify if certain human
rights standards are being met, which you yourself reference in the paper.
As such the sentence above reads a little confusing, could you clarify what
you mean?

- Do you believe it is really unknown what values lie behind protocols? I
think Denardis, Abbate and several others have done a decent job describing
that both the social, ethical values of individual engineers and the
commercial values of the companies they work become reflected in the
technology they design.

-  "Although the juridical legitimacy of the IETF to enforce human rights
by technical means might be questionable [4], rationales for responsibility
of the IETF may stem from Art. 28 UDHR providing the right to an
international or- der in which human rights can be realized. This claim is
directed to global institutional actors [29]. In governance ar- eas where
governments are absent or play a minor role, this claim affects the de
facto governing actors, i.e., the IET."
This is an interesting line of argumentation, do you plan to expand on it
in your research?

- In your conclusion you cover a lot of very relevant and broader
questions, I was wondering if you have considered adding a short bit about
the tension that exist in the debate on human rights and to what extend
they are universal, and more particularly who gets to decide which values
will be realized through protocols and why.

Overall it is a great article, it really lays out the issues in structured
and succinct way. Great to see the work of the HRPC group mentioned as well. I
was wondering what the time line is for you moving forward on this research?

Best,

Corinne

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Bless, Roland (TM) <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as already announced, here is the pointer to the above article
> (freely available):
> http://www.sigcomm.org/ccr/papers/2016/April/0000000.0000003
>
> The editor wrote:
> > The second editorial, “Towards Considering Relationships between Values
> > and Networks” looks at the interactions between human rights and the
> > technology that we develop. It reminds us that when we decide to carry
> > out research on a given topic, our research results may have a broader
> > impact than simply a series of papers published in conference
> > proceedings, journals or online libraries. Some of our work can
> > influence, in one direction or another, the evolution of our society and
> > some of our design choices may have a huge impact in the long term. I
> > encourage you to read this editorial and then take some time to think
> > about your ongoing work and the impact that it could have on values such
> > as human rights.
>
> PDF:
>
> http://www.sigcomm.org/sites/default/files/ccr/papers/2016/April/0000000-0000003.pdf
>
> Feedback appreciated :-)
>
> Regards,
>  Roland
>
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>

-- 
Corinne Cath

'The management of normality is hard work'