Subject: [hrpc] following up - Draft on Protest, Association and Assembly

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 16:07:36 +0900

Dear all,

Following up on the ideas for follow-up work at the session at IETF97.
One of the ideas was listing ways in which one can protest online.

I have setup the skeleton for an ID about this here:
https://github.com/nllz/IRTF-HRPC/blob/master/draft-association.md

Would be great to work on this with others. So co-authors, suggestions
and ideas would be great.

Some text from the draft:

Abstract
This documents aims to document the relation between Internet protocols
and the right to freedom of assembly and association. The Internet
increasingly mediates our lives and thus the ability to excercise human
rights. Since Internet protocols play a central role in the management,
development and use of the Internet the relation between the two should
be documented and adverse impacts on this human right should be mitigated.

On the other hand there have also been methods of protest on this
Internet, such as DDoS attacks, that have been harmful to Internet
connectivity. This document aims to document forms of protest that do
not have a negative impact on the Internet infrastructure.

To do

Examples

- add description of (harmful) DDoS attacks. Possibly from :
    * Gabrielle Colemans "Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy"
    * Moly Sauters "The Coming Swarm"

- websites go blank in strike / protests again SOPA and PIPA
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_against_SOPA_and_PIPA

- organizing platforms
    * mailinglists

- decision making platforms
    * https://www.loomio.org/
    * http://liquidfeedback.org/

- peer production
    * https://www.wikipedia.org/
    * Git &/vs Github
    * etherpad
    * google doc
	
- Gather more examples

Other issues
    * Outline difference and relation between right to assembly,
association and protest

    * Explain the relation of these as rights (within frameworks of
{{UDHR}}, {{ICCPR}}, etc)
        *
https://right-to-protest.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/right-to-protest-for-web.pdf

    * differences (and gradients) between free (as in beer) and free (as
in freedom)

Looking forward to hear from you all on this (also when you think the
scoping if completely wrong).

Cheers,

Niels

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9