Subject: [hrpc] I-D Action: draft-irtf-hrpc-research-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:04:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Human Rights Protocol Considerations of the IETF.

        Title           : Research into Human Rights Protocol Considerations
        Authors         : Niels ten Oever
                          Corinne Cath
	Filename        : draft-irtf-hrpc-research-05.txt
	Pages           : 68
	Date            : 2016-11-13

Abstract:
   This document provides a proposal for a vocabulary to discuss the
   relation between human rights and Internet protocols, an overview of
   the discussion in technical and academic literature and communities,
   a proposal for the mapping of the relation between human rights and
   technical concepts, and a proposal for guidelines for human rights
   considerations, similar to the work done on the guidelines for
   privacy considerations [RFC6973].

   This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is
   published for informational purposes.

   This document is a product of the Internet Research Task Force
   (IRTF).  The IRTF publishes the results of Internet-related research
   and development activities.  This documents aims to be a consensus
   document of the Human Rights Protocol Consideration Research Group of
   the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF).

   Discussion of this draft at: [email-masked] //
   https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-hrpc-research/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-research-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-hrpc-research-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:07:23 +0900

Dear all,

A new draft to resolve the issues brought up this morning during the
hrpc session at IETF97. Looking forward to discuss.

Best,

Niels

On Sun, 2016-11-13 at 22:04 -0800, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 15:30:47 +0100

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 03:07:23PM +0900,
 Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]> wrote 

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-hrpc-research-05

At the Seoul meeting, Andrew Sullivan raised the issue that this draft
tries to change the official IETF policy on character sets and
languages (this policy is written in RFC 2277). I replied that
draft-irtf-hrpc-research is not intended for Standards Track or BCP,
and therefore there is no risk for the current policy, even if
draft-irtf-hrpc-research were to say that the current policy is wrong.

[Personal summary of RFC 2277 policy: every text intended for the
human user, such as the body of an email message or of a XMPP stanza
can use Unicode non-ASCII characters. "Protocol elements" such as GET
in HTTP or MAIL FROM in SMTP can stay in "english" (ASCII only). The
big difficulty with this principle is that some strings are both
user-facing strings and protocol elements. Domain names are a typical
example, and this is why there are so many tussle about IDN.]

Anyway, after checking -05, it seems to me that the only place where
you can find an explicit criticism of RFC 2277 is in section
2.1.2.1.5, in this specific paragraph:

   In aforementioned IETF documents internationalization is aimed at
   user-facing strings.  The authors believe that this should also be
   extended to protocols themselves because if the Internet wants to be
   a global network of networks, the protocols should not only work in
   English and non-latin characters.

Personal opinion: this paragraph is unclear (and the last sentence
contradicts itself, it was probably supposed to be "latin
characters"). I suggest instead:

   In the current IETF policy (RFC 2277), internationalization is aimed at
   user-facing strings, not protocol elements, such as the verbs used
   by some text-based protocols. (Do note that some strings are both
   content and protocol elements, such as the identifiers.) If the
   Internet wants to be a global network of networks, the protocols
   should work with other languages than English and other character
   sets than latin characters. It is
   therefore crucial that at least the content carried by the protocol
   can be in any script, and that all scripts are treated equally.

---

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 16:54:21 +0100

Thanks Stephane, added!

Am working on the anonymity text now and will release new version soon.

Cheers,

Niels

Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9