Subject: Re: [hrpc] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-tenoever-hrpc-anonymity-01.txt

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 11:41:50 +0300

On 17/11/17 04:41 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 11/17/17 9:23 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> So, privacy is a sacrifice?
> 
> They're trading off the ability of CDNs to make good routing
> decision with protecting user privacy, sacrificing the former.
> I think it's reasonable to point out that providing additional
> user privacy has some costs associated with it.  (And fwiw I
> think they made the right choice).

Agree that there is often a trade off. But to the point that a phrase
like "*sacrificing* on the side of privacy" plays into the general
narrative that privacy is at odds with other values and nice things like
privacy require sacrifice.

An obvious antidote to the sacrifice narrative when privacy and another
value require a trade off is to say that the other value requires a
sacrifice of privacy.

When the discussion is in the context of security, as in security values
versus privacy (as a value), exploring the ways in which privacy is a
form of security-- and a very important one!-- could be helpful.

-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
Head of Digital :: article19.org
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9  B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780