Subject: [hrpc] Protocols, Not Platforms: A Technological Approach to Free Speech

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:54:35 +0100

A very interesting paper about the importance of protocols, and why to
build services over open protocols, not proprietary platforms. It
talks about censorship, privacy, etc. Very relevant for the IETF.

https://knightcolumbia.org/content/protocols-not-platforms-a-technological-approach-to-free-speech

I regret that there is no examination of the *existing* protocols (not
Usenet!) that are in use today to build social networks. ActivityPub
and friends is actively used, so the author could have tested in the
real world if his ideas work or not.

---

From: farzaneh badii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 11:11:16 -0500

I think this is very important Stephane especially because Twitter is
putting a team together to come up with a brand new standard! It's a good
initiative, but I wish they could discuss this more collaboratively at
standard-setting orgs instead of just putting a closed team together. That
way they might not have ignored all the work that has already been done on
this.

Farzaneh

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 11:54 AM Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> hrpc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/hrpc
>