Subject: draft -05 and current status

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:17:11 -0600

As you can see, we have draft -05 available this morning.

Last week, the editors and I got together in sunny (and,  
unfortunately, combustable) Southern California to work on these.  
Thanks to Roy Fielding/Day Software for hosting.

-05's focus is on the ABNF conversion (#36), including dealing with  
line folding (#77) and LWS (#30), as discussed previously. There is  
still some ABNF-related work to do (e.g., programmatically expanding  
the # rule into a pure-ABNF appendix, cleaning up the relationship  
between the general header syntax and specific headers), but the core  
of the work is there and ready for review.

We anticipate having -06 available in a small number of weeks. This  
will include rewrites of parts 1 (messaging), 5 (ranges) and 6  
(caching) for editorial clarity, and will contain a number of  
proposals for open issues from the editors. This is a bit of a change  
from our past working practices, but should help us get moving forward  
again. I expect a healthy discussion of the drafts when they arrive.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:06:33 -0800 (PST)

I know you guys are working really hard on this so I hate to ask for more
work, but I and perhaps others would find it really helpful if with each
draft submission, a zip/tgz file of the whole set were placed somewhere on
the web for easy retrieval. It would also be helpful if these zips were
retained for backward reference. Like right now, I'd like the original -00
and current files for a serious diff review.

Thanks,
  Dave Morris

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:30:16 +0100

David Morris wrote:
> ...

All drafts are available in several places; tools.ietf.org has the 
history + diffs, our SVN repository has them as well 
(<http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/httpbis/draft-ietf-httpbis/>), and 
there's another copy on my web site (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/>.

Producing ZIPs or TGZs would be possible, but what for?

BR, Julian

---

From: David Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:11:15 -0800 (PST)

Having a simple bundle to down load is an order or two of magnitude easier
than working through the multiple steps for the individual files. Not a
big deal, but it is a tedious waste of time for the 50-100 folks we'd like
to actively review the documents.

I can only speak for my self, but it takes me longer to get around to even
the first step of the process.

Dave Morris

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:38:00 +0100

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Last week, the editors and I got together in sunny (and, unfortunately, 
> combustable) Southern California to work on these. Thanks to Roy 
> Fielding/Day Software for hosting.
> 
> -05's focus is on the ABNF conversion (#36), including dealing with line 
> folding (#77) and LWS (#30), as discussed previously. There is still 
> some ABNF-related work to do (e.g., programmatically expanding the # 
> rule into a pure-ABNF appendix, cleaning up the relationship between the 
> general header syntax and specific headers), but the core of the work is 
> there and ready for review.
> ...

Draft 05 also resolves the outdated URI spec reference 
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/34>), which affects 
the definition of the HTTP URL...

BR, Julian