Subject: case-sensitivity of weakness indicator

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:47:19 +0200

Hi,

looking at 
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p4-conditional-06.html#rfc.section.2>:

--- snip ---
   entity-tag = [ weak ] opaque-tag
   weak       = "W/"
   opaque-tag = quoted-string

...

A "weak entity tag," indicated by the "W/" prefix, MAY be shared by two 
entities of a resource only if the entities are equivalent and could be 
substituted for each other with no significant change in semantics. A 
weak entity tag can only be used for weak comparison.
--- snip ---

According to the ABNF, "w/" would be allowed as well. However, the prose 
doesn't mention this.

It seems this was just an oversight, and the spec should state the 
weakness indicator *is* case-sensitive, by saying:

   entity-tag = [ weak ] opaque-tag
   weak       = %x57.2F ; "W/", case-sensitive
   opaque-tag = quoted-string

Feedback appreciated,

Julian