Subject: Last call for comments on draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http-07

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:50:27 +0100

Hi,

I just updated draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http with a short section 
explaining document history:

Appendix A. Document History and Future Plans (to be removed by RFC
              Editor before publication)

    Problems with the internationalization of the HTTP Content-
    Disposition header field have been known for many years (see test
    cases at <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/>).

    During IETF 72
    (<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/minutes?item=minutes72.html>), the
    HTTPbis Working Group shortly discussed how to deal with the
    underspecification of (1) Content-Disposition, and its (2)
    internationalization aspects.  Back then, there was rough consensus
    in the room to move the definition into a separate draft.

    This specification addresses problem (2), by defining a simple subset
    of the encoding format defined in RFC 2231.  A separate
    specification, draft-reschke-rfc2183-in-http, is planned to address
    problem (1).  Note that this approach was chosen because Content-
    Disposition is just an example for an HTTP header field using this
    kind of encoding.  Another example is the currently proposed Link
    header field (draft-nottingham-http-link-header).

    This document is planned to be published on the IETF Standards Track,
    so that other standards-track level documents can depend on it, such
    as the new specification of Content-Disposition, or potentially
    future revisions of the HTTP Link Header specification.

    Also note that this document specifies a proper subset of the
    extensions defined in RFC 2231, but does not normatively refer to it.
    Thus, RFC 2231 can be revised separately, should the email community
    decide to.

- <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http-07#appendix-A>

I think this document is ready for an IETF Last Call, but before I 
request publication (*), I'd appreciate more review from HTTPbis WG members.

Best regards, Julian

(*) Planned in three weeks from now, on Jan 18, 2010.

[email-masked] wrote:
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 	Title           : Application of RFC 2231 Encoding to Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Header Fields
> 	Author(s)       : J. Reschke
> 	Filename        : draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http-07.txt
> 	Pages           : 13
> 	Date            : 2009-12-27
> 
> By default, message header field parameters in Hypertext Transfer
> Protocol (HTTP) messages can not carry characters outside the ISO-
> 8859-1 character set.  RFC 2231 defines an escaping mechanism for use
> in Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) headers.  This
> document specifies a profile of that encoding suitable for use in
> HTTP.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-rfc2231-in-http-07.txt
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> 
> Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
> implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
> Internet-Draft.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Nicolas Alvarez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:18:40 -0300

Julian Reschke wrote:
>     internationalization aspects.

I think the (1) and (2)s make more sense as:

     HTTPbis Working Group shortly discussed how to deal with (1) the
     underspecification of Content-Disposition, and (2) its 
     internationalization aspects.

-- 
Nicolas

I read mailing lists through Gmane. Please don't Cc me on replies; it makes 
me get one message on my newsreader and another on email.