Subject: Link Relation Registry initial contents

From: Nathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:29:41 +0100

cc ietf-http, apologies if this is the wrong list associate with Link header

Hi Mark,

I'm wondering why 'stylesheet' is registered as a link relation, out of 
all of them this seems very media type specific and can't see what use 
or role it has in an HTTP header.

Is there any guidance associated with link relations (and the registry 
of) which specifies they should be usable across a broad range of media 
types / work with any media type?

Many Regards,

Nathan

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:01:26 +0200

> or role it has in an HTTP header.

1) It's in HTML4.

2) It actually is supported by a few browsers (in HTTP link).

I agree that it would be nice to re-register it in the future, for 
instance considering both HTML and XML.

> types / work with any media type?

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-10.html#rfc.section.4.1>:

"...Well-defined relation types can be registered as tokens for 
convenience and/or to promote reuse by other applications. This 
specification establishes an IANA registry of such relation types; see 
Section 6.2.

Registered relation type names MUST conform to the reg-rel-type rule, 
and MUST be compared character-by-character in a case-insensitive 
fashion. They SHOULD be appropriate to the specificity of the relation 
type; i.e., if the semantics are highly specific to a particular 
application, the name should reflect that, so that more general names 
are available for less specific use.

Registered relation types MUST NOT constrain the media type of the 
context IRI, and MUST NOT constrain the available representation media 
types of the target IRI. However, they can specify the behaviours and 
properties of the target resource (e.g., allowable HTTP methods, request 
and response media types which must be supported)...."

Best regards, Julian

---

From: "Eric J. Bowman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:48:50 -0600

Is omitting rel='transformation' an oversight?

http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#grddl-xhtml

Or is there a reason it can't be a Link header?

-Eric

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:45:48 +0200

> http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec#grddl-xhtml

GRDDL predates this registry, and the HTML WG hasn't yet decided to use 
this registry.

> Or is there a reason it can't be a Link header?

I think it could be used in a link header, but I'd propose to give it a 
more specific name then.

Best regards, Julian