Subject: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-polli-resource-digests-http-00.txt

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2019 15:34:23 +0100

Hello HTTP WG,

Roberto and I have been doing some work on updating RFC 3230 (HTTP Instance
Digests) and we recently published the 00 draft, please see attached
announcement.

In short, this is intended to be a simple update that removes what we
perceive as unnecessary prose, tidies up old terminology and provides some
examples of edge cases that crop up.
We are seeking feedback from the group on the document itself and to gauge
interest in taking this work forward.

We have collected a number of questions into the document FAQ [1]. Please
direct questions, comments or suggestions to this thread or our Github repo
[2].

We think this work is relevant to HTTPbis, and our intent is to seek
adoption of the update by taking it to the list. But we value your input at
this early leg of our journey.

*Further Background*
Put simply, a "Digest" header can carry a checksum that can be used for
some (but not all) integrity checks. This is relevant to a number of HTTP
use cases, especially when combined with other features such as transport
security or metadata integrity. More recently, it has seen usage in Signed
Exchanges (SXG) [3] in tandem with Merkle Integrity Content Encoding (MICE)
[3].

However, RFC 3230 sits in an awkward place in the HTTP timeline. It defined
some language, like "instance", that was required to articulate the concept
at the time but has since been overtaken by the term "representation"
introduced in the RFC 723x series.

Trying to implement or reference RFC 3230 is confusing and painful. Things
like MICE spend some time and effort clarifying ambiguities and it is not
alone. We think addressing these problem in one place will make it easier
for others to do the right thing with digests.

Kind regards
Lucas

[1] https://github.com/ioggstream/draft-polli-resource-digests-http
[2]
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-polli-resource-digests-http-00#appendix-C
<https://ioggstream.github.io/draft-polli-resource-digests-http/draft-polli-resource-digests-http.html#faq>
[3] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yasskin-http-origin-signed/
[4] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-thomson-http-mice/
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-polli-resource-digests-http-00.txt
To: Roberto Polli <[email-masked]>, Lucas Pardue <
[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-polli-resource-digests-http-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Roberto Polli and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-polli-resource-digests-http
Revision:       00
Title:          Resource Digests for HTTP
Document date:  2019-05-23
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          22
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polli-resource-digests-http-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-polli-resource-digests-http/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-polli-resource-digests-http-00
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-polli-resource-digests-http

Abstract:
   This document defines the Digest and Want-Digest header fields for
   HTTP, thus allowing client and server to negotiate an integrity
   checksum of the exchanged resource representation data.

   This document obsoletes [RFC3230].  It replaces the term "instance"
   with "representation", which makes it consistent with the HTTP
   Semantic and Context defined in [RFC7231].

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat