Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 09:14:50 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the HTTP WG of the IETF.

        Title           : HTTP Semantics
        Authors         : Roy T. Fielding
                          Mark Nottingham
                          Julian F. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-06.txt
	Pages           : 197
	Date            : 2019-11-04

Abstract:
   The Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is a stateless application-
   level protocol for distributed, collaborative, hypertext information
   systems.  This document defines the semantics of HTTP: its
   architecture, terminology, the "http" and "https" Uniform Resource
   Identifier (URI) schemes, core request methods, request header
   fields, response status codes, response header fields, and content
   negotiation.

   This document obsoletes RFC 2818, RFC 7231, RFC 7232, RFC 7233, RFC
   7235, RFC 7538, RFC 7615, and portions of RFC 7230.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 07:57:19 +0100

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics/
(...)

Just a heads up on this, I've spent ~45 minutes this morning having a look
at semantics and messaging. I could be reading them for hours but will not
have the time before next week. However I'd like to invite all implementers
to have a deep look into them, as these documents are of incredibly high
quality with lots of details and suggestions of seldom known corner cases.
I think that splitting messaging and semantics definitely helps fluidify
the lecture. Kudos to the editors!

Willy

---

From: Wenbo Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 16:21:32 -0800

1) is there a timeline for reviews, i.e. is this a major revision?
2) should clarification questions be raised on
https://github.com/httpwg/http-core?

Thanks.

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 11:51:42 +1100

Thanks, Willy. I'd hasten to mention that many parts of the document are still in flux, and the issues list doesn't capture all of that. 

As a result, reviews right now might not be the best use of people's time; hopefully we'll be in a state to do that soon. We'll talk more about the path forward in Singapore.

Cheers,

> On 5 Nov 2019, at 5:57 pm, Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 04:18:47 +0100

On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 11:51:42AM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Thanks, Willy. I'd hasten to mention that many parts of the document are
> still in flux, and the issues list doesn't capture all of that. 

OK, good to know. Then I'll mostly focus on parts that look finished
or on whatever looks like a mistake or sounds confusing.

> As a result, reviews right now might not be the best use of people's time;
> hopefully we'll be in a state to do that soon.

Maybe, but it depends if you three want to be entirely on your own on
this huge task or want to benefit from minor editorial feedback ;-)

> We'll talk more about the path forward in Singapore.

Great!

Cheers,
Willy