Subject: http-core status for IETF 106 (Singapore)

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 12:03:27 -0800

> On Oct 25, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Tommy Pauly <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Our draft agenda for IETF 106 is available here:
> 
> https://github.com/httpwg/wg-materials/blob/gh-pages/ietf106/agenda.md

I assume everyone noticed that the -06 drafts for http-core were published last week:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-semantics-06
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-messaging-06
  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-cache-06

We will be discussing those at the Monday afternoon meeting in Singapore.

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/106/agenda#2019-11-18-080000

Diffs since 05 can be seen at

  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_semantics_05_to_06.html
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_messaging_05_to_06.html
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_cache_05_to_06.html

and a frankenRFC diff of all changes since the last consensus RFCs, rearranged
according to the current draft structure to show just the word changes:

  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_semantics_frfc_to_06.html
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_messaging_frfc_to_06.html
  https://httpwg.org/http-core/diffs/diff_cache_frfc_to_06.html

As always, the best way to track our work is on github at

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core

and especially the list of commits and open issues:

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/commits/master
  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues

For this meeting, we will probably focus on the issues marked with the label "discuss"

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/labels/discuss

(which are still being added to, so speak up if you want to discuss something).

The following 28 issues have been closed since the last meeting in Montreal:

  https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed+closed%3A%3E2019-07-19+sort%3Acreated-asc

with the bulk of text changes being about

 - refactoring the byte ranges grammar to be extensible (#196, #212
 - moving trailer fields to Semantics (#16, #117)
 - moving payload body requirements to Semantics (#159, #202)
 - moving retries to idempotent methods (#27, 
 - adding a port registration (#36)
 - adding a min supported URI length (#169)
 - incorporating the remaining RFC2818 (HTTP over TLS) text (#236)
 - replacing "cacheable by default" with heuristically cacheable (#54, #242)
 - defining requirements on caching incomplete responses (#25, #221)

See the "Changes since ..." sections at the end of each draft for a brief
summary of what has been changed.

We currently have 60 open issues remaining on the list, though 15 are
editorial and many others have only small bits left to do before closing.

Cheers,

....Roy T. Fielding
    Senior Principal Scientist, Adobe

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 06:30:51 +0100

On 13.11.2019 21:03, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
 > ...

Thanks for the summary, Roy.

I'd also like to mention that we are monitoring RC 723* errata, see
<https://httpwg.org/http-core/httpbis-errata-status.html>.

Right now, we have only two reports that haven't been dealt with; both
have matching entries in Github
(<https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/163>,
<https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/53>).

Best regards, Julian