Subject: Protocol Action: 'Structured Field Values for HTTP' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-19.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 08:17:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Structured Field Values for HTTP'
  (draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the HTTP Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Murray Kucherawy and Barry Leiba.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-header-structure/

Technical Summary

This document defines a standard set of data types for HTTP headers and
trailers, with detailed algorithms for how to serialize and parse these
fields. This set of strictly-typed fields is referred to as "Structured
Fields". These definitions do not apply retroactively to any existing
header fields, but allow future headers to improve interoperability and
consistency.

Working Group Summary

This document has been an active area of discussion in the working group
for over three years during its development. Many members of the working
group have engaged in reviews and discussions on the mailing list,
particularly due to the wide applicability of the structured field
definitions that the document establishes. Several details required
taking consensus calls in the past year (such as the handling of empty
lists and URLs). These generated lively discussion, which did converge
and reach consensus.

Document Quality

The working group last call was a relatively long call, about one month,
during which time many detailed reviews were provided. All review
comments have been incorporated.  Several in-progress documents rely on
the format defined in Structured Fields.

Personnel

Tommy Pauly is the document shepherd. Barry Leiba is the responsible Area
Director.