Subject: [Errata Rejected] RFC7231 (5300)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 04:35:50 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been rejected for RFC7231,
"Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid5300

--------------------------------------
Status: Rejected
Type: Technical

Reported by: Jeffrey Yasskin <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2018-03-24
Rejected by: Francesca Palombini (IESG)

Section: 8.1

Original Text
-------------
8.1.1.  Procedure

   HTTP method registrations MUST include the following fields:

   o  Method Name (see Section 4)

   o  Safe ("yes" or "no", see Section 4.2.1)

   o  Idempotent ("yes" or "no", see Section 4.2.2)

   o  Pointer to specification text

   Values to be added to this namespace require IETF Review (see
   [RFC5226], Section 4.1).

…

8.1.3.  Registrations

   The "Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Method Registry" has been
   populated with the registrations below:

   +---------+------+------------+---------------+
   | Method  | Safe | Idempotent | Reference     |
   +---------+------+------------+---------------+
   | CONNECT | no   | no         | Section 4.3.6 |
   | DELETE  | no   | yes        | Section 4.3.5 |
   | GET     | yes  | yes        | Section 4.3.1 |
   | HEAD    | yes  | yes        | Section 4.3.2 |
   | OPTIONS | yes  | yes        | Section 4.3.7 |
   | POST    | no   | no         | Section 4.3.3 |
   | PUT     | no   | yes        | Section 4.3.4 |
   | TRACE   | yes  | yes        | Section 4.3.8 |
   +---------+------+------------+---------------+

Corrected Text
--------------
8.1.1.  Procedure

   HTTP method registrations MUST include the following fields:

   o  Method Name (see Section 4)

   o  Safe ("yes" or "no", see Section 4.2.1)

   o  Idempotent ("yes" or "no", see Section 4.2.2)

   o  Cacheable ("yes" or "no", see Section 4.2.3)

   o  Pointer to specification text

   Values to be added to this namespace require IETF Review (see
   [RFC5226], Section 4.1).

…

8.1.3.  Registrations

   The "Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Method Registry" has been
   populated with the registrations below:

   +---------+------+------------+-----------+---------------+
   | Method  | Safe | Idempotent | Cacheable | Reference     |
   +---------+------+------------+-----------+---------------+
   | CONNECT | no   | no         | no        | Section 4.3.6 |
   | DELETE  | no   | yes        | no        | Section 4.3.5 |
   | GET     | yes  | yes        | yes       | Section 4.3.1 |
   | HEAD    | yes  | yes        | yes       | Section 4.3.2 |
   | OPTIONS | yes  | yes        | no        | Section 4.3.7 |
   | POST    | no   | no         | yes       | Section 4.3.3 |
   | PUT     | no   | yes        | no        | Section 4.3.4 |
   | TRACE   | yes  | yes        | no        | Section 4.3.8 |
   +---------+------+------------+-----------+---------------+

Notes
-----
HTTP Methods have 3 boolean properties, all of which 8.1.2 says a registration needs to define, but only 2 of them were included in the registry.
 --VERIFIER NOTES-- 
As discussed during work on the HTTP core documents:
> "Cacheable" is not a boolean property of the method, but rather a capability inherent in the system in which one aspect is the method semantics.
See https://github.com/httpwg/http-core/issues/54 for detailed discussion.

--------------------------------------
RFC7231 (draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-26)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content
Publication Date    : June 2014
Author(s)           : R. Fielding, Ed., J. Reschke, Ed.
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Hypertext Transfer Protocol Bis APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG