Subject: [hybi] rfc6455 The websocket protocol

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:43:59 +1100

I see rfc6455 is now available!!!   Congratulations all!

However, one minor nit to pick... 6455 defines the new error code
1011, which is sent over the wire, so strictly speaking we should
probably have incremented the version in the handshake from 13 to 18.
But I don't think this is any huge issue and I'm just going to update
my implement for handshakes with 13 to be able to emit 1011 and I
think that the other end should cope OK even if it is a draft 13 impl
rather than a rfc6455 impl.

cheers

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 10:41:55 +0000

Hi Greg,

> rather than a rfc6455 impl.
I think supported status codes are [mostly] independent of the version 
of the protocol, so future additions to the list of registered status 
codes should not increment the version number. The choice of status 
codes to support is frequently quite subjective anyway.

Regards,
Alexey

---

From: Greg Wilkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:48:51 +1100

On 19 December 2011 21:41, Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I think supported status codes are [mostly] independent of the version of
> the protocol, so future additions to the list of registered status codes
> should not increment the version number. The choice of status codes to
> support is frequently quite subjective anyway.

I can see it that way.  So sorry to have rained on the RFC6455 parade!

cheers