Subject: [hybi] [Errata Rejected] RFC6455 (3912)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:18:44 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been rejected for RFC6455,
"The WebSocket Protocol".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6455&eid=3912

--------------------------------------
Status: Rejected
Type: Technical

Reported by: Mattias Ekendahl <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2014-03-05
Rejected by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 5.2

Original Text
-------------
    frame-payload-length    = ( %x00-7D )
                            / ( %x7E frame-payload-length-16 )
                            / ( %x7F frame-payload-length-63 )
                            ; 7, 7+16, or 7+64 bits in length,
                            ; respectively

    frame-payload-length-16 = %x0000-FFFF ; 16 bits in length

    frame-payload-length-63 = %x0000000000000000-7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
                            ; 64 bits in length

Corrected Text
--------------
    frame-payload-length    = ( %x00-7D )
                            / ( %x7E frame-payload-length-16 )
                            / ( %x7F frame-payload-length-64 )
                            ; 7, 7+16, or 7+64 bits in length,
                            ; respectively

    frame-payload-length-16 = %x0000-FFFF ; 16 bits in length

    frame-payload-length-64 = %x0000000000000000-FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
                            ; 64 bits in length

Notes
-----
Name of field and range is implying that it should be 63 bits in length, but documentation is saying 64 bits in 2 places.
 --VERIFIER NOTES-- 
The intended interpretation is that lexically the field is 64 bit long but the value space is constrained to 63 bit (so the length can be represented in a 64 signed integer, with the sign bit always zero). It is a bit unconventional to use ABNF like this, but it is explained in Section 5.2.

--------------------------------------
RFC6455 (draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The WebSocket Protocol
Publication Date    : December 2011
Author(s)           : I. Fette, A. Melnikov
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG