Subject: [hybi] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC6455 (4398)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:36:39 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC6455, "The WebSocket Protocol". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6455&eid=4398

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Technical

Reported by: Mike West <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2015-06-24
Held by: Barry Leiba (IESG)

Section: 4.1

Original Text
-------------
1. The components of the WebSocket URI passed into this algorithm
   (/host/, /port/, /resource name/, and /secure/ flag) MUST be
   valid according to the specification of WebSocket URIs specified
   in Section 3.  If any of the components are invalid, the client
   MUST _Fail the WebSocket Connection_ and abort these steps.

Corrected Text
--------------
1. The components of the WebSocket URI passed into this algorithm
   (/host/, /port/, /resource name/, and /secure/ flag) MUST be
   valid according to the specification of WebSocket URIs specified
   in Section 3.  If any of the components are invalid, the client
   MUST _Fail the WebSocket Connection_ and abort these steps.

2. If secure is false, and the algorithm in Mixed Content's "§5.1
   Does settings object restrict mixed content?" returns Restricts
   Mixed Content when applied to client's entry script's relevant
   settings object's, then the client MUST fail the WebSocket
   connection and abort the connection.

Notes
-----
This change is suggested by the W3C's "Mixed Content" document (https://w3c.github.io/webappsec/specs/mixedcontent/#websockets-integration), and will bring WebSockets' behaviors into line with XMLHttpRequest, EventSource, and Fetch, all of which act as though there was a network error when blocking a mixed content request, rather than throwing a SecurityError exception.

--------------------------------------
RFC6455 (draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The WebSocket Protocol
Publication Date    : December 2011
Author(s)           : I. Fette, A. Melnikov
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : BiDirectional or Server-Initiated HTTP APP
Area                : Applications
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG